Acting and temporary Wardens
There have been a number of Acting or interim Wardens of the College. Cowper, Saumerez Smith and de Burgh Griffith were all given the substantive position of Warden (not just Acting), but for a limited period, so as to ensure the legitimacy of their position on Council and as represenatives of the College in Synod. In the case of Pattinson and Griffith, and especially Griffith, there was every possibility that that would be appointed substantive Warden, but that did not happen. The most important of the temporary Wardens have been:
- The Venerable William Cowper (1778-1858), Archdeacon of Cumberland, temporary Warden 1856, before the arrival of the Reverend Henry Judge Hose as first Warden. [Australian Dictionary of Biography]
- The Reverend Henry Plume, MA(Camb) (1851-1930), formerly Archdeacon of North Queensland, temporary Warden 1889, while Canon Hey Sharp was on leave. He was afterwards founder and first Head of Barker College, and a Fellow. [Australian Dictionary of Biography]
- The Reverend Hubert Saumarez Smith, MA(Camb) (1874-1950), domestic chaplain to the Archbishop, temporary Warden 1908-09, between the departure of Canon Hey Sharp and the arrival of Dr Radford. He was afterwards a Fellow
- The Reverend Canon Joseph Alfred Pattinson, MA (Camb) (1861-1919), temporary Warden 1915-16, between the departure of Dr Radford and the arrival of the Reverend Arthur Garnsey. He was afterwards Headmaster of The King’s School and a Fellow.
- The Reverend Frederick Arthur Walton, MA DipEd(Syd) (1897-1950), Director of Education in the Sydney diocese, temporary Warden during 1930, when Canon Garnsey was on leave; Fellow 1932-38.
- The Reverend Maurice Edmund de Burgh Griffith, MA (1891-1964), Vice-Warden and temporary Warden 1944-46, between the resignation and death of Canon Garnsey and the arrival of Dr Arnott.
- Kenneth John Cable, MA(Sydn), BA(Camb) (1929-2003), Lecturer in History and a Fellow of the College, temporary Warden 1959-60, while Dr Arnott was on leave.
- Michael Gleeson Taylor, BS MD (Adel) PhD (St Bart’s) (1926-2006), Professor of Physiology, Vice-Warden 1963, between the departure of Dr Arnott and the arrival of the Reverend A.P.B. Bennie. He was afterwards Chairman of the Academic Board and Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
- The Reverend Canon Stanley Wynton Kurrle, OBE DipEd MA MACE, former headmaster of Caulfield Grammar School and of The King’s School, a Fellow of the College, Vice-Warden 1985, between the departure of Canon Bennie and the arrival of Bishop Thomas.
- Martin Pitt, BA DipEd(Sydn) MA (Camb) FRGS MACE (1939-2010), a student in the College 1958-61, and Sub-Warden 1967-68; Fellow of the College 1987-2007, and Vice-Warden 1994, between the departure of Bishop Thomas and the arrival of the Reverend Dr Head.