University Medals were introduced for undergraduate work in particular disciplines in the 1860s. The frequency of University Medals awarded to Paul’s men over the years, strictly for their examination results, is a useful if rough indication of the quality of intellectual life in the College from one period to the next. The number available has varied with the number of disciplines, but then the number of disciplines has tended to vary with the number of students in University overall. Also, examinations are not the only criteria for quality. The years of L.B. Radford’s wardenship (1909-15) were far more intellectually exciting than the last years of William Hey Sharp’s (to 1908), but Sharp’s students brought in a Medal every couple of years, whereas from his departure until 1923 there was only one winner.
Note that William Chisholm, A.C. Millard, Norman de Horne Rowland, Michael Chesterman, Andrew Bell, Stuart Lawrance, David Thomas and Daniel Ward won two Medals each.
The Revd William Scott’s wardenship (1865-78)
- 1867 William Adams Purves (Chemistry and Experimental Physics).
- 1873 John Morrice (Classics).
- 1874 William Chisholm (Mathematics; Natural Science); Fellow 1888-1908.
The Revd William Hey Sharp’s wardenship (1878-1908)
- 1883 Albert Bathurst Piddington (Classics), Vice-Warden 1883-84; Achievements.
- 1885 Alfred Charles Millard (Classics; Mathematics), Senior Student 1884, Vice-Warden 1890.
- 1888 Peter Bancroft (Medicine), Senior Student 1886-87.
- 1889 Henry Newton (Mathematics); Achievements.
- 1891 Edward Milner Stephen (Classics); Achievements.
- 1895 David Pentland Evans-Jones (Classics).
- 1895 Norman de Horne Rowland (Logic and Mental Philosophy), Vice-Warden; Achievements.
- 1898 Norman George Stafford Pilcher (Logic and Mental Philosophy), Senior Student 1898-1900.
- 1898 John Beverley Peden (Law), Vice-Warden 1892-99; Fellow 1901-28; Achievements.
- 1901 William Sprott Boyd (Metallurgy).
- 1903 Edward Montagu Wellisch (afterwards Wellish) (Mathematics); Achievements.
- 1906 Norman de Horne Rowland (Law), Vice-Warden 1903-5, Sub-Warden 1908-9; Achievements.
- 1908 Henry Karow (later Henry Kingsley) Archdall (Logic and Mental Philosophy); Achievements.
- 1908 Edwin Andrew Brearley (Medicine), Sub-Warden 1905-6.
The Revd Dr Lewis Radford’s wardenship (1909-15)
- 1914 Robert John Allwright Massie (Engineering); Achievements.
The Revd Canon Arthur Garnsey’s wardenship (1916-44)
- 1923 Arthur Rex Knight (Logic and Mental Philosophy); Achievements.
- 1923 Tom Inglis Moore (History), Sub-Warden 1933-34; Achievements.
- 1924 John Walwyn Shepheard Laidley (Medicine).
- 1928 Rawdon Hamilton Kenny (Medicine).
- 1934 Francis George Hole (Engineering).
- 1938 Walter Laurence Hughes (Engineering); Rhodes Scholar.
The Revd Dr Felix Arnott’s wardenship (1946-63)
- 1951 Peter George Valder (Agriculture)
- 1952 Martin Frederiksen (Greek)
- 1959 David Peter Arthur Garnsey (Latin); Rhodes Scholar; Achievements.
- 1959 Brian John Graf (Engineering).
- 1960 Michael Rainsford Chesterman (English).
- 1962 John Philip Chalmers (Medicine); Achievements.
- 1962 John David Atkinson (Mechanical Engineering).
- 1962 Jeremy Guy Ashcroft Davis (Economics)
- 1962 David John Smee (Civil Engineering).
- 1963 Stuart Douglas Gordon Cumming (Mechanical Engineering).
- 1963 John Dyson Heydon (History), Senior Student 1964; Rhodes Scholar; Achievements.
- 1963 D’Arcy Hamilton Wentworth (Mining Engineering), Senior Student 1963.
The Revd Canon Peter Bennie’s wardenship (1963-85)
- 1965 Michael Rainsford Chesterman (Law)
- 1969 John Robert Felix Lehane (Law), Fellow; Achievements.
- 1970 Bruce H James (Architecture)
- 1972 Donald W Kelly (Aeronautical Egineering)
- 1973 David John McRuvie (History)
- 1974 Richard Geoffrey Davies (Mathematics)
- 1983 Richard Compton (Physics)
The Rt Revd Max Thomas’s wardenship (1985-94)
- 1986 Gregory Craig Gibson (Biology)
- 1986 Peter John Hanley (Bio-chemistry)
- 1987 Andrew Scott Bell (Economic History), Convocation Medal; Rhodes Scholar; Fellow
- 1989 Danne Rene Rasmussen (Chemistry)
- 1989 Scott Michael Nixon (Arts), Rhodes Scholar
- 1889 John Richard Liberty Williams (Engineering)
- 1989 Andrew Scott Bell (Law), Convocation Medal; Rhodes Scholar; Fellow
- 1990 Jason Adam Murray (Economics), Senior Student 1990
- 1991 Mark James Leeming (Arts), Achievements
- 1992 Francesco Anthony Antonuccio (Physics)
- 1992 Stephen Geoffrey Lack (Mathematics)
The Revd Canon Dr Ivan Head’s wardenship (1995 and up to 2003)
- 1996 Richard Humfry Henchman (Chemistry)
- 1997 Stuart Andrew Lawrance (Mathematics)
- 1997 Justin Louis Talbot-Stern (Aeronautical Engineering)
- 1998 Malcolm Piers Kennett (), Convocation Medal
- 1998 Brian Diarmid Power (Medical Science)
- 1999 Jason Gray (Economic History)
- 1999 Ben Wade Saul (Australian Literature)
- 2000 Stuart Andrew Lawrance (Law)
- 2000 James David Robert Cockayne (Arts)
- 2000 Christopher Ronald Edward Joye (Commerce)
- 2000 David Frederick Callum Thomas (History)
- 2001 Andrew Henry Charlton (Economics), Rhodes Scholar
- 2001 Justin Sieu-Sung Toh (Theoretical Chemistry)
- 2002 Richard Francis Grover (Mechatronics)
- 2002 David Frederick Callum Thomas (Law)
- 2003 Tanzil Rahman (Political Economy, Geography & Government)