Apart from buildings, scholarships and bursaries have been the main reason why men and women have given money to St Paul’s College. The first donations of this kind were in the form of prizes rather than scholarships, and were not self-sustaining. The funders were particularly keen to encourage the study of Divinity, and in 1857 the solicitor Richard Johnson (Fellow 1860-70) and the businessman Michael Murnin gave ₤30 each for two Divinity prizes. In 1859 prizes were similarly awarded for English Verse and for Modern History. From 1869 to 1918 Council itself awarded more or less annual Divinity prizes. The lay Fellows, by regular personal contributions, also funded scholarships from 1866 to 1916, and two Wardens, Savigny and Sharp, were especially generous in financial support to students.
The Reverend E.G. Hodgson, Vice-Warden 1878-82, was a major donor of prizes during his own time in College, as was the Reverend Henry Latimer Jackson, Fellow 1885-95. The only self-sustaining prize (as distinct from scholarships) until after World War Two was the Mitchell Prize for Divinity, for which ₤200 was given by James Mitchell MLC, an original Fellow, in 1859 (for the Arts student who, within twelve months of graduation, should pass the best College exam in “the Doctrines and History of our Church”). However, the money in that case was swallowed up for other causes and the prize was not awarded for many years.
More recently a large number of annual prizes have been established, but only a few (the Portus Prize for exceptional results in History, Economic History or Philosphy, from the Revd Professor G.V. Portus), the Uther Prize for three yeras distingusihed results and service to College, by bequest from A.H. Uther, the Asimus Medal for Oratory, given by C.J. Asimus, and the McWilliam Prize for Law, given by B.I. McWilliam) have been by private benefaction.
Most College scholarships up to the 1920s were founded by women. For the first half of its history women were therefore among the largest benefactors to the College. In most cases they were either unmarried women or widows without children. From the 1920s women’s independent contribution to the College was more obvious in their capacity as fund-raisers, especially within the St Paul’s College Women’s Organisation.
Note especially the contributions the Bundock family, based in north-east NSW.
ASPINALL: Mrs Sophia Ann Hall Aspinall founded the Edward Aspinall Scholarship in August 1864, in memory of her husband. There were no restrictions to its use. Mrs Aspinall was the College’s most munificent benefactor in its early years. She was born in 1810 in Nottinghamshire, where her father, Philip Palmer, was a landowner and her mother a banker’s daughter. On 20 July 1830, at her home village of East Bridgeford, Sophia Palmer married Edward Aspinall, who had lately arrived from Sydney. In 1831 her brother Philip Hall Palmer, a clergyman, married Edward’s sister. The Aspinalls were a Liverpool merchant family originally trading to North America (in slaves) but now also to New South Wales, the Sydney firm being Aspinall and Browne. Edward and Sophia were settled in Sydney by mid 1831. They had no children and Edward died, aged 37, on 1 January 1838. Another of Sophia’s brothers, William Hall Palmer, had followed her to New South Wales and became a Commissioner of Crown Lands. He gave ₤20 in the original subscription for the College, 1852-54, and she gave ₤25. Mrs Aspinall was a close friend of Sir Alfred Stephen’s family and also of James Mitchell, who gave the Mitchell Prize for Divinity. In April 1847 she, Mitchell and one of Mitchell’s daughters were involved in an accident in the city, when the horses in her carriage bolted after a collision with another vehicle (Sydney Morning Herald, 30 April 1847). She lived in Cumberland Street, overlooking the Harbour, and took a particular interest in the Destitute Children’s Asylum and the Female School of Industry. She also donated to Anglican Church causes. In the 1860s she took responsibility for one of the windows in the nave in the new St Andrew’s Cathedral (also in memory of her husband) and she gave money for the establishment of the Anglican diocese of Goulburn and for buildings at Moore College. Her annual donations for the Edward Aspinall Scholarship (usually ₤45) began in 1865, with William Purvis the first winner, and ended in 1872, when she gave ₤500 as a fund on which future scholarships were to be drawn. She was told that ₤900 would be needed to yield the same amount per annum, but the sum remained at ₤500 (Council minutes, 14 March, 10 October 1872; Cash Book 1864-1884, 7 September 1872). Mrs Aspinall died in Sydney on 1 August 1874.
KEMP: The Kemp Scholarship was founded in March 1880, with a bequest of ₤400 from Mrs Stella Kemp in memory of her husband, Charles Kemp, former joint-proprietor of the Sydney Morning Herald and an original Fellow (1855-64) (Council minutes, 4 March 1880, and attached letter). There were no restrictions to its use. Mrs Kemp was born Stella Christie (date and place unknown), and she married Charles Kemp in Sydney in November 1838. There were no children. Charles Kemp gave ₤300 in the original subscription to the College and he took a keen interest in its success. Towards the end of his life he was chairman of the Commercial Banking Company and of the United Fire and Life Insurance Company of Sydney. He was also one of the founders of Moore College and active in raising funds for the building of St Andrew’s Cathedral. He died in Sydney on 25 August 1864. Mrs Kemp died on 19 November 1879 also in Sydney (at her home, 175 Macquarie Street). The scholarship was first awarded in 1880 to Albert Bathurst Piddington.
PRIDDLE: The Augusta Priddle Memorial Scholarship was founded in July 1885 by the Reverend Charles Frederick Durham Priddle in memory of his wife, for the sons of clergymen intending themslves to take Holy Orders. The principal was ₤600, and was allowed to accumulate to ₤1000 before being awarded. The scholarship was to be tenable for three years (Council minutes, 9 July 1885, 8 May, 12 June 1890, 9 October 1891). Charles Priddle (1814-97) was a Fellow (1875-97). He had been trained for the priesthood at St James’s College, the Glebe, predecessor of St Paul’s, had subscribed ₤25 for the founding of St Paul’s, and was currently rector of St Luke’s, Liverpool. His wife was born Jane Augusta Norton, daughter of the solicitor James Norton, of Elswick, on 16 May 1828. Her father has helped to establish St James’s College, and subscribed ₤50 for St Paul’s College, and her brother James was a Fellow 1869-1906. The Priddles were married 25 February 1851. She died 13 November 1883 at Liverpool and her husband on 12 February 1897 in Sydney, aged 72. They had two sons at College, Robert (1866-1950) and Alfred (1869-1940), and Robert, by his will supplemented the scholarship. The Priddle Scholarship was first awarded in 1887 to F.W. Reeve.
STARLING: In December 1885 the Council was notified of a gift of ₤1000 from an anonymous donor. This was later referred to as the Starling Foundation, and the donor’s purpose was to found one or two scholarships for candidates for Holy Orders. The donor was apparently Mrs Elizabeth Jane Starling, widow of John Penny Starling, of Norwood Hall, Marrickville, who had been manager for many years of W.H. Paling’s music warehouse and who had died on the previous 12 August, aged 51 (Council minutes, 17 December 1885, 11 March, 8 April 1886). Mrs Starling was born Elizabeth Jane Dudley and had married J.P. Starling in Sydney on 4 July 1866. Both were English-born. She died at Vaucluse, 3 September 1937, aged 88. The first Starling scholarship was awarded in 1888 to E.H.B. Pritchard (the son of a Primitive Methodist minister), who died in the same year, of typhoid.
ABBOTT: The Henry William Abbott Scholarship was founded in October 1885 by Thomas Kingsmill Abbott in memory of his son. T.K. Abbott bequeathed ₤1000 to the Bishop of Sydney for a scholarship for students training for Holy Orders, recommending that at least to begin with they should be resident at St Paul’s College (Council minutes, 15 October 1885). T.K. Abbott was the uncle of Sir Joseph Abbott (Fellow 1891-1900) and also of the Reverend Thomas Kingsmill Abbott (Fellow 1896-1902, Vice-Warden 1900-01). His son Henry was a solicitor who died unmarried at Milson’s Point on 8 October 1878, aged 26. T.K. Abbott, who had been secretary of the General Post Office, Sydney, died in London on 6 May 1885. The Abbott Scholarship was first awarded in 1889 to Cuthbert Blacket.
BURTON: The Burton Scholarship was founded in 1839 by Sir William Westbrooke Burton (1794-1888), judge of the NSW Supreme Court, for boys at the King’s School, with a sum of ₤1000 which had been raised by Burton’s admirers as a gift to him on his departure from the colony. Burton was born in England and was appointed to the Supreme Court of the Cape of Good Hope in 1827, and in 1832 to the court at Sydney. He was on leave in England 1839-41 and in 1844 he left Sydney to be judge at Madras. In 1857 he returned to Sydney and was President of the Legislative Council 1858-61. He married twice but had no children. The scholarship was refounded in 1891 for students going on from the King’s School to St Paul’s College (without restriction), and then in 1894 as two scholarships, one tenable at the College, as before, and the other at the school (Council minutes, 10 May, 12 July 1894, 9 May 1895). It has always been administered by the school. It was first awarded at the College in 1891 to William Jowers Cakebread, afterwards Rural Dean of Randwick and a Fellow of the College.
CANON STEPHEN: The Reverend Canon Alfred Hamilton Hewlett Stephen (1826-84) was the eldest son of Sir Alfred Stephen. He was born in Hobart on 24 April 1826. A graduate of Cambridge, he was was among the leading founders of the College, and was a Fellow from 1855 until his death, at Hunter’s Hill. 20 July 1884. His whole clerical career was spent at St Paul’s, Redfern, the church after which the College was named, but he was also a significant public figure, for instance as founding secretary and later president of the Society for the Relief of Destitute Children. When he died a public subscription was started in his memory, the dividends to support his widow, Rebecca Maria Stephen (born Cox), until her death and then to be used for a College scholarship. (The Warden, William Hey Sharp, had hoped that the money might be used to build the “Stephen Tower”.) Mrs Stephen died on 5 December 1901 and the Canon Stephen Memorial Scholarship was established, apparently with capital of ₤761, in 1902 (Sydney Morning Herald, 31 July, 2 August 1884; Council minutes, 12 December 1901 – 14 August 1902). It was first awarded to Duncan Robertson Barry.
PARNELL: Elizabeth Frances Parnell was born 20 April 1853. Her father, Edward Parnell, a Hunter Valley landowner (died 1908), was a synodsman in the Diocese of Newcastle and a generous donor to Christ Church Cathedral. Her mother, Caroline Parnell, was a sister of Charles Kemp, a Fellow of the College (see Kemp Scholarship, above). Before the War, Miss Parnell contributed to Anglican mission work in northern Western Australia and during the War she was a donor to the Blue Cross League, “for wounded and suffering horses at the front”. In 1917 she gave ₤1000 to the College to found a scholarship, tenable for three years, for students intending to take Holy Orders and coming to the College from Sydney Grammar School, Shore, King’s, The Armidale School, All Saints at Bathurst, “or such schools, other than State schools, as the Council may from time to time determine” (Council minutes, 8 March, 12 April 1917; St Paul’s College Calendar 1925-26). She died in Newcastle on 5 December 1925, leaving an estate of ₤30,561, including ₤2000 to Christ Church Cathedral (Sydney Morning Herald, 26 February 1926). The first scholar, in 1918, was Alan Detlev Hingst, also of Newcastle, who immediately enlisted in the AIF and did not in fact become a clergyman. He was fatally hit by a cricket ball in March 1932.
OSBORNE: Kate Cunningham Moffatt was born on 7 April 1849, at Wollongong, the daughter of the Reverend Cunningham Atchison, a Presbyterian minister. Her mother, Isabella, was the daughter of John Osborne, of Garden Hill, Wollongong, a former naval surgeon, who died on 6 June 1850. Four of her mother’s cousins, Hamilton, John, Oliver and Duncan Osborne were at St Paul’s College in the 1880s and ’90s. On 25 August 1894 she married Thomas Helenus Moffatt, who had been one of the first settlers at Poona, near Maryborough, Queensland. They lived at Marley, Blue Street, North Sydney, and seem to have had no children. T.H. Moffatt died in 1917. Mrs Moffat died on 20 October 1918, at North Sydney. In her will she left ₤1000 for a bed in the Royal North Shore Hospital, and also ₤1000 to the University to establish a scholarship for a student in Medicine who was or had been resident at the College, to be known as the Dr John Osborne RN Scholarship, in memory of her grandfather. It was first awarded in 1920 to Leslie Ratcliff.
CAIRD: This scholarship was founded in 1923 with a bequest from Elizabeth Richardson Caird, of Melbourne. Miss Caird was born at Burwood on 16 July 1873, the daughter of George Sutherland Caird, a Sydney businessman (of Caird, Maxwell and Co., mine owners and agents) with university connections in Glasgow and Oxford. She died in Melbourne on 27 December 1922. “Miss Caird spent the latter years of her life quietly in Melbourne, but many charitable institutions, especially those connected with children, both in Sydney and Melbourne, have benefited by her generous interest” (Sydney Morning Herald, 2 October 1922). In her will she left ₤1000 to Sydney University for a scholarship for medical students (men only), and ₤500 each to St Paul’s College and St Andrew’s College, for scholarships for students in Divinity. All were to be named G.S. Caird Scholarships, after her father. She also left a house in Sydney to the Congregational Church (Sydney Morning Herald, 17 November 1922; Council minutes, ). The scholarship at St Paul’s was first awarded in 1932 to Frank Rush, afterwards a canon of St Andrew’s Cathedral, Sydney, and a Fellow of the College.
W.C. BUNDOCK (see also F.F. Bundock, below): Four members of the Bundock family were in College between 1874 and 1916, including Charles Bundock (1875-76), son of Wellington Cochrane Bundock, a pastoralist at Wyangarie, Richmond River, northern New South Wales. Mary Ellen Murray-Prior, born 18 February 1845, was Charles Bundock’s elder sister. Through their mother they were cousins of William Frederick Ogilvie, in College 1884. In 4 August 1902, when she was 57, she married the Queensland pastoralist and MP, Thomas de Montmorency Murray-Prior, of Maroon, near Boonah. Her husband’s brother Hervey Murray-Prior had been in College with Charles Bundock, 1875-77. His sister was the Australian novelist Rosa Praed. Widowed after four months of marriage, Mrs Murray-Prior stayed in charge of Maroon. She was “a fearless horsewoman, and would ride for miles to set a broken limb or succour a settler in distress in that then sparsely settled district”. She was also a skilled anthropologist. Her meticulously documented collection of Aboriginal weapons and women’s artifacts is now divided between the Australian Museum, Sydney, and the Rijkmuseurn voor Volkenkunde, Lieden (Sydney Morning Herald, 23 April 1924; Isabel McBryde, “Miss Mary, Ethography and the Inheritance of Concern: Mary Ellen Murray-Prior”, in Julie Marcus, First in their Field: Women and Australian Anthropology.) She died on 9 April 1923, at Perth in Western Australian, on the way home from Europe. Her estate was valued at ₤39,697. In her will she left ₤2000 each to St Paul’s College and to the Women’s College, to establish the W.C. Bundock Scholarship and the Ellen Bundock Scholarship, in memory of her parents (Sydney Morning Herald, 2 June 1924; Council minutes ). The first W.C. Bundock scholar was
STARKEY: Alfred Ernest Starkey was born in Sydney in 1869, the youngest son of John and Fanny Starkey. His father was a wealthy soft-drink manufacturer and from the 1880s the family lived at Smithfield Grange, Coogee. A.E. Starkey seems to have been a bachelor. He died at his home, Gibbah Gunyah, Manly, on 11 December 1927, leaving ₤1000 to St Luke’s Hospital (at that time an Anglican establishment) and ₤1000 for the College. (In connection with the College the donor is sometimes wrongly called “James Starkey”). The estate was mainly in the form of city property and it took some time to realise. Funds began to arrive in 1932 and the A.E. Starkey Scholarship was then established. (Council minutes, 20 March, 20 July 1928, Pauline, 1932, p. 11). It was first awarded in 1933 to John Goulburn Radford, son of the fomer Warden, afterwards a medical practitioner.
GRAINGER: Edwin Grainger began employment with the Bank of New South Wales in the 1860s (by 1868). For 25 years he was branch manager at Inverell, during which time he began accumulating pastoral property around about. He had been born in England (probably Hereford), the son of John and Margaret Grainger He was a keen singer and organiser of musical occasions, and a promoter of local schools and other improvements. In 1905, at Lithgow, he married May (or Mary Greville) Reynolds. Her brother was rector at Walgett, near inverell, and her father a storekeeper at Bundarra. They used the name Greville-Grainger. Mrs Grainger’s nephew, Harry Scrivener, was in College in 1916. Edwin Grainger died in Darlinghurst on 15 July 1930, aged 80, leaving an estate valued at ₤78,672. Among a large number of benefactions, he left ₤4000 each and the residue of the estate (divided equally) to St Paul’s College, St Andrew’s College and Wesley College (Sydney Morning Herald, 17 July 1930, 8 October 1930, Argus, 16 January 1931) The estate became available for distrubition on the death of May Grainger, in Sydneyon 5 June 1937 (Sydney Morning Herald, 17 July, 14 August 1937). The Edwin and May Grainger Scholarships were first awarded in 1938.
STAPLEY EDWARDS: This was the first scholarship established by a former student at Paul’s. Alfred Stapley Edwards (known as Stapley) was born on 11 June 1904 at Neutral Bay, son of Clarence Edwards, afterwards managing director of David Jones, and his wife Rose (Stapley). He went to Shore and he lived in College as a first-year student, 1924. He graduated BSc in 1929 and then travelled to England and to the United States, where he joined Johnson & Johnson, at that time manfacturers of surgical dressings. In the early 1930s he led the establishment of the firm in Sydney and was appointed local managing director. In December 1936 he was married at Watertown, New York State, to Josephine Taggart, an American. They lived at Wahroonga. (Sydney Morning Herald, 3 April 1937). He died at Watertown, aged 41, on the way home from a business trip to Britain and the United States, on 18 January 1945 (Sydney Morning Herald, 20 January 1945). In his will he left ₤1000 to the College for the establishment of a scholarship, a sum supplemented by his father and widow. She and their two children returned to the United States, where she twice remarried. Their son, Byron Taggart Edwards, went to Harvard (Varsity Club, Fly Club, Hasty Pudding Institute) and became a munificent donor to the Republican Party. The first Stapley Edwards scholar was
WADDY: Richard Granville Waddy established the R.G. Waddy benefaction in 1966 for students of St Paul’s College, the Women’s College and Basser College at the University of NSW, stating at the time that “the principal qualifications … shall be financlal distress, misfortune and unexpected hardship and not necessarily brilliance of scholarship of academic qualifications”; “undergardautes shall be the main recipents of assistance, but neverhtheless, graduates carrying out resea4rch may also qualify”. The three colleges were to
WALLACE ANDERSON. William Wallace Anderson was the son of W.A. and Lillie Anderson, of Overthorpe, Double Bay. His father was of the firm of Charles Anderson & Co., hatmakers, contractors for slouch hats during World War One. He was born in Sydney, 10 January 1914. He was at school at King’s and went on to Jesus College, Cambridge, graduating MA. In 1939 he married Jocelyn Jean Josephson (whose grandfather Joshua Frey Josephson was one of the leading original subscribers to the College), and they had a daughter, born 1941. Anderson joined the RAAF and was one of the first pilots trained under the Empire Air Scheme to leave Australia for England. He rose to Flying Officer. He was reported missing, and was presumed to have been killed on 18 June 1941 (crashed near Boulogne), aged 27, his body never recovered. (Sydney Morning Herald, 1 July 1941, 16 February 1942; W.W. Anderson, war service file, Australian Archives). In 1984, capital of $30,000 was given to the College for a scholarship in his memory, by his widow (since twice remarried, lastly to Frank Ritchie) and his two sisters, Jean Healey and Irene Ashton (Council minutes, 17 April 1984). (His mother’s family, the Sees, had similarly donated the Sydney See Scholarship for a boy from King’s going on to do Vet at Sydney University.) The first Wallace Anderson Scholar, in 1984, was Brian Tugwell (Council minutes, 17 April 1984).
F.F. BUNDOCK (see also W.C. Bundock, above). Frank Edward Bundock was born in 1891 near Charters Towers, son of Francis Forbes and Mary Ellen (Collings) Bundock. His father was in College (1874-76), as was his elder brother Harry (1905-07) and his younger brother Albert (1915-16). F.E. Bundock served with the AIF in France (Light Trench Mortar Battery), and in 1919 he married Ruby Parish. They managed and then owned Harvest Home, a cattle station near Charters Towers pioneered by his mother’s family (F.E. Bundock, war service file, Australian Archives; Townsville Daily Bulletin, 9 January 1930). Frank Bundock died 30 June 1986, aged 95, leaving money for a scholarship at the College, to be named the F.F. Bundock Scholarship, in memory of his father. He asked that it be given “preferably” to an applicant from The King’s School, with some consideration of financial need.
Colin Richardson Award for leadership