Library and IT

Library and IT

The College Library is named in honour of John Leslie Stephen Mansfield (1906-65), Pauline, a major benefactor and architect of the Chapel and Chapel Court.

The Library is in six sections:

The Main Library is held on open shelves on the first floor; partly books directly relevant to current University coursework, and partly books of general interest, including novels.

The Cannington Law Library also on the first floor, behind a glass partition, contains law books, journals and periodicals.

The Old Library is in the Archives room (behind a secure glass partition on the ground floor) and contains books belonging to the College before World War One. The oldest book belonging to the Library dates from 1517 but the oldest on site is the Spectator of 1711. The more valuable books,  including a number of publications from the English Civil War period (one being an original edition of Hobbes’ Leviathan), are in the Rare Books section of the University Library.

The Pauline Collection, also on the ground floor in the Archives room, includes:

  • books about individuals associated with the College, mainly Wardens and former students.
  • books once owned by such men, especially while in College;
  • books and music scores by former students, Wardens and tutors. This collection includes, for instance The Spanish Republic (1933) written with two other authors by the Marques del Moral, who was in College in the late 1880s, and whose purpose was to rouse public opinion in favour of Spanish fascism during the Spanish Civil War; and at the other extreme Federal Europe (1940), by R.W.G. Mackay, who was in College in the 1920s, who became a British Labour MP and who wrote this book in the hope of making socialism the basis of a united Europe.
  • books relevant to the College’s Anglican and broader Christian foundation;
  • local histories from the neighbourhood and books about schools and colleges relevant to this one.

The Positive Education Collection, on the ground floor. For Positive Education, see here.

Reference and Textbooks, also shelved on the ground floor.

Computer Facilities

St Paul’s has its own Local Area Network, allowing men to share files and make use of the Computer Room printer. Access to the LAN, the University Intranet and the Internet is via the network connection in each room.

File backup is provided through the use of the LAN fileserver, to ensure important documents are not lost.

Computers must be equipped with an Ethernet card (modem access is not possible) and must run virus software provided by the College.
8 computers in the Computer Room are connected to the College’s network and require users to log-on using their College user name and PIN.
Men can access the network printers (colour as well as black and white) from any computer connected to the network.
Scanning facilities are provided.

The College Archives are also housed in the Mansfield Library.

“Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is enlightenment” lao tzu