Mr Bret Walker SC has been made an Officer of the Order of Australia in the 2021 Australia Day Honours. Bret was at College in 1974 and completed BA and LLB at Sydney before being admitted to the Bar in 1979. Bret has had a distinguished career in the law rep[resenting many high profile clients and has led many government inquiries mainly in NSW. He was President of the NSW Bar Association 2001-2003. The citation for Bret’s honour is:
Mr Bret William Walker
Officer of the Order of Australia for distinguished service to the law through a range of roles, particularly to national security and civil liberties, and to professional legal associations.
He is recognised for the following achievements:
- Commissioner, South Australian Murray-Darling Basin Royal Commission, 2018-2019.
- Member, Legal Services Council, 2014-2020.
- Foundation Member, Australian Academy of Law, since 2007.
- Independent National Security Legislation Monitor, 2011-2014.
- Editor, New South Wales Law Reports, 2006-2018.
- Member, New South Wales Health Clinical Advisory Panel, 2003-2012.
- Governor, Law Foundation of New South Wales, 1996-2007.
- Special Commissioner of Inquiry, Sydney Ferries, 2007; Camden and Campbelltown Hospitals, 2003-2004; Post Mortems at Glebe Morgue, 2001.
- Queen’s Counsel, 1994, Senior Counsel, 1993 and Barrister, 1979
New South Wales Bar Association
- President, 2001-2003.
- Vice-President, 1996-2001.
- Council Member, 25 years.
Law Council of Australia
- President, 1997-1998.
- Chair, Constitutional Law Committee, current.
- Recipient, President’s Medal, 2009.
Sydney Writers Festival
- Director, 2000-2010.
- Former Patron.
The Arts – Other
- Chairman, Red Room Company, 2010-2018.
- Former Patron, State Library of New South Wales.