Senior Tutors are part of the traditional fabric of a residential university college. Dr Felix Arnott, who was familiar with Oxford collegiate life, planned the appointment of a Senior Tutor for 1956, by moving his Sub-Warden, Alan Shaw, MA(Melb and Oxf) (afterwards foundation Professor of History at Monash University), to that position. However, Shaw left College before that could happen.
In 1964 Arnott’s successor, the Reverend Peter Bennie, appointed Professor Michael Taylor, BS MD(Adel), PhD(St Bart’s), Professor of Physiology, then resident (afterwards Deputy Vice-Chancellor), to the new position of Dean of Studies. With Taylor’s departure in May 1968, the title was changed to the more English-sounding “Senior Tutor”, and remuneration was added. The Senior Tutors of Paul’s have been as follows:
- Dr Ken Dutton, MA(Syd), D de l’U(Paris); afterwards Professor of French and Deputy Vice-Chancellor, University of Newcastle, and AM; Senior Tutor 1968-69 (end of Term One).
- Mr John Lehane, BA LLB(Syd); former student of the College; afterwards Federal Court judge, Fellow and chairman of Council; Senior Tutor 1969-73.
- Dr Geoffrey de Quincy Walker, LLB(Syd), LLM SJD(Penn); afterwards Professor of Law, University of Sydney, and Deputy President of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal; Senior Tutor 1973-74.
- Dr James Ward, BSc PhD, lecturer in Pure Mathematics, University of Sydney; Senior Tutor 1974-77.
- Mr Barry Spurr, BA(Syd), MLitt(Oxf), former student of the College; afterwards MA PhD[Syd]) and Professor of Poetry and Poetics, University of Sydney; Senior Tutor 1978-87.
- Mr Adrian Diethelm, BA LLB(Syd), BCL(Oxf), afterwards barrister and lecturer in Law, University of Queensland, and then Rector of St John’s College; Senior Tutor 1988-89.
- Dr Jim Angel, OBE, DipEd MA(Syd), PhD(ANU) (1935-2007), historian, formerly of St Andrew’s College; Senior Tutor 1990-97.
- Dr Peter Edwards, BA(UWA), DPhil(Oxf), formerly Master of St Mark’s College, University of Adelaide, afterwards AM and Professor of History, Deakin University; Senior Tutor 1998.
- Dr Dugald McLellan, BA LLB PhD(Melb), Italian art historian; appointed an Honorary Fellow of the University 2011, for his work as Senior Tutor; Senior Tutor 1999-Jan 2010.
- Em Prof Alan Atkinson, MA DLitt(hc) (Syd), MEd (Dubl), PhD (ANU), FAHA, HonFRAHS; He was a Fellow of the College May 2011-January 2016; Senior Tutor Feb 2010-Dec 2016.