The College would like to extend congratulations to the five Paulines who were recognised for their service to Australia in this year’s Australia Day Honours.
These five men were recognised for a range of services, from significant service to ophthalmology, to the promotion of social inclusion for LGBTI people, and significant service to the community. It is wonderful to see the continual efforts of Paulines contributing to society, and to their communities.
MEMBER (AM) IN THE GENERAL DIVISION OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA:
Mr Peter Raymond CROSSING AM (1962-1965)
For significant service to the community through philanthropic support for, and leadership positions with, major cultural institutions, and to business
- Chairman, State Library of New South Wales Foundation, 2011-2015 and Board
- Member, since 2010 and Member, since 2008.
- Family Foundation, ‘The Belalberi Foundation’, provides financial support to a range
- of cultural, educational, medical and wildlife conservation organisations including: The
- State Library of New South Wales landmark exhibitions – ‘Artist Colony: Drawing
- Sydney’s Nature Exhibition’, 2014 and ‘Lewin – Wild Art’, 2012 – which provided
- important insights into cultural activities from 1788-1820.
- Vice Chairman, UBS Investment Bank, current.
- Created a Mentoring Program, with Chairmen of major public companies, for young
- executives, since 2008.
- Member, Business Regulation Advisory Group, Commonwealth Treasury, 2002.
Dr Iain Stirling DUNLOP AM (1985-1989)
For significant service to ophthalmology, particularly through executive roles with professional medical organisations, and as a practitioner
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists:
- President, 2007-2009.
- Honorary Treasurer, 2003-2007.
- Board Member, 2003-2009.
- Honorary Secretary, 1998-2003.
- Chairman, Audit Committee, 2003-2007.
- Federal Council Member, 1997-2009.
- New South Wales Branch
- Chairman, 2005-2007 and Vice-Chairman, 2004-2005.
- Honorary Secretary, 1997-2000 and Fellow, since 1987.
- Director, Vision 2020, since 2005.
- Australian Representative, International Council of Ophthalmology, 2006-2010.
- President, Australian Society of Ophthalmologists, 2004-2007 and Executive Member, 2000-2004.
- Chairman, New South Wales Orthoptic Board, 1996-1998.
- Member, Orthoptic Board of Australia, 1999-2003.
- Australian Medical Association (AMA):
- Chair, AMA Board, since 2016.
- Director, since 2010.
- Chair, Federal Council and National Conference, 2013-2014.
- Chair, Audit and Risk Committee, since 2014.
- Chair, Ophthalmology Coordinating Committee, 2004-2009.
- Admitted to Roll of Fellows, 2015.
- Representative to Australian Medical Council, since 2012.
- Voting Member, Executive Council, Australian Council on Healthcare Standards, since 2012.
- Representative to Australian Day Surgery Council, since 2012.
- Australian Medical Association (ACT Branch)
- Director, since 2009.
- President, 2010-2012.
- Recipient, President’s Award, 2015.
- Member, since 1980.
- Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing:
- Member, Professional Services Review Advisory Committee, since 2001.
- Chairman, Ophthalmic Prostheses Clinical Advisory Group, Prosthesis List Advisory Committee, since
- 2009 and Member, since 2003.
- Australian Medical Association Representative to the National Disability Insurance Scheme, 2012-
- Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, since 1987.
- Recipient, Outstanding Service in the Prevention of Blindness Award, Asia-Pacific Academy of
- Ophthalmology, 2012.
- Sydney Hospital and Sydney Eye Hospital:
- Senior Visiting Medical Officer, current and Teacher, Anterior Segment Surgery, since 1988.
- Founding Director, Sight for Life Foundation, since 2005.
- Founder and Director, Canberra Eye Hospital and Canberra Microsurgery, since 1997.
MEDAL (OAM) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA IN THE GENERAL DIVISION:
Mr Stewart James McLEOD PSM OAM (1971-1973)
For service to local government administration, and to the community of Dubbo
- Dubbo City Council:
- Director, Technical Services, since 1994.
- Supporter, University of Newcastle Industry Scholarship Scheme, since 2005.
- Chair, Local Emergency Management Committee, since 1998.
- Inaugural Local Emergency Management Officer (LEMO), since 1991.
- Chair, Rural Fire Service Standing Liaison Committee, since 2001.
- Chair, Dubbo City Bushfire Management Committee, 1996-2002.
- Council Representative on a range of committees.
- NSW Local Government Water Directorate:
- Immediate Past Chair, since 2014.
- Chair, 2006-2014.
- Inaugural Deputy Chair, 1997-2006.
- Co-Founder, since 1997.
- Industry Representative, DPI Water/LGNSW Liaison Committee, 1992-2016.
- Industry Representative, State Storm Water Advisory Committee, 1998-2004.
- Founder, Lower Macquarie Water Utilities Alliance, 2008-2016.
- Founder, CENTROC Weight of Loads Group, 1993-2013.
- Deputy Chair, Northwest Weight of Loads Group, current.
- Fellow, Engineers Australia, since 1995 and Chartered Professional Engineer, 1980 and Member, since 1974.
- Inaugural Chair, Engineering for Regional Communities Judging Panel, NSW Division, Engineers Australia, since
- 2004 and Member, Regional Special Interest Group, since 2012.
- Chair, Dubbo Regional Group, Engineers Australia, since 1997 and Charter Member, since 1995.
- Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia – New South Wales Division:
- Emeritus Member, since 2015.
- Vice-President, 2010-2014.
- Board Member, 2008-2014.
- Founding Member, and Chair, Environmental Panel, 1995-2003.
- Member, since 1979.
- Member, Sing Australia Dubbo, since 2009.
- Member, Dubbo Theatre Company Inc (DATS), since 2004.
- Member, Friends of Western Plains Cultural Centre, since 2006 and Member, Dubbo Regional Art Gallery, 1989-
- Member, Dubbo Film Society, since 1989.
- Member, Dubbo Artz, 2003-2015.
- Deputy Controller, Dubbo State Emergency Service, 1991-2001 and Active Member, 1985-2001 and Incident
- Controller, Rural Fire Service Section 41F, 1994-2003.
- Bishop-In-Council, Diocese of Bathurst, Anglican Church of Australia, 1989-1993 and Dubbo Synod
- Representative, 1988-1993.
- Vestryman and Church Warden, Holy Trinity Church, Dubbo, 1995-1999 and 1981-1993.
- Member, Management Committee, Holy Trinity Retirement Village, Dubbo, 1985-1993.
- Awards and recognition includes:
- Recipient, Engineers Australia Medal, 2012.
- Recipient, Legend of Water Award, Australian Water Association, 2012.
- Recipient, Champion of Champions Award, NSW Division, Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia, 2006.
Mr Andrew John PURCHAS OAM (1985-88, current Council member)
For service to rugby union, and to the promotion of social inclusion for LGBTI people
- International Gay Rugby Association:
- Chairman, 2016.
- Vice-Chairman and Trustee, since 2010.
- Director, since 2003.
- Member, Bingham Cup Liaison Committee, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006.
- Founder and President, Sydney Bingham Cup 2014 (established to manage the 2014
- Bingham Cup Tournament in Sydney – ‘The Gay Rugby World Cup’), since 2012.
- Founder and Life Member, Sydney Convicts Rugby Club, since 2003 and President, 2003-
- Recipient, Nick Farr-Jones Spirit of Rugby Award, Australian Rugby Union, 2014.
- Life Member, Woollahra Colleagues Rugby Club, current.
- ACON/AIDS Council of New South Wales:
- Vice-President and Board Member, since 2006.
- Member, Finance and Audit Committee, since 2005.
- Member, Nominations Committee, since 2007.
- Involved with the establishment of the Pride in Sport Program and the Pride in Sport Index.
Mr David Thomas UTHER OAM (1959)
For service to the community through a range of organisations
- Chairperson, The Heart Research Institute, 1992-1996 and Member, since 1996.
- Board member, The Armidale School, since 2010.
- Chairperson, Winifred West Schools, 1989-1994 and Company member, since 1994 and
- Governor, 1980s. Director, Winifred West Schools Foundation, 1989-1994.
- Committee Member and Director, The Australian Club, 2000-2005.
- President, Elanora Country Club, 1994-2000.
- Committee Member, Palm Beach Surf Life Saving Club, 1981-1984 and Member, since 1959.
- Executive Chairperson, DTW Uther and Associates, current.
- Executive Chairperson, Best and Gee, since 1971.
- Vice-President, Australia and New Zealand Division, Chief Executives Organisation, 2002-
- 2004 and 2008-2010 and Director, New York Division, 2000-2004 and 2008-2010.
- Australian Chairperson, Young Presidents Organisation, 1987-1998.